We embrace the communities in which we operate and pride ourselves on our community engagement which runs long and deep.
- Every station is tasked with serving its local community through service on non-profit boards, sponsorship of community organizations, promotion of giving and in many other ways.
- In 2016, Nexstar implemented its Founder’s Day of Caring, which occurs each year on the date of the company’s founding, where station staff members receive paid time off for volunteer work in their communities. The choice of which organizations to support are made at the local level, and cover a wide range of organizations. (For past Founder’s Day partners, please see https://foundersday.nexstar.tv/). In 2021, our Founder’s Day initiatives provided 15,198 hours of service in one day to the company’s communities.
- Established in 1958, the Nexstar Charitable Foundation awards approximately $350,000 in grants each year to charitable and non-profit organizations serving the communities in which we operate. Information on specific grants can be found here – https://www.nexstar.tv/our-foundation/.
- Our stations partner with the Red Cross to solicit donations to assist victims affected by natural disasters in the communities we serve. In 2020, Nexstar’s television stations raised more than $50,000 for the Red Cross to help individuals impacted by hurricanes, tornadoes, and wildfires. Donations can be made via Nexstar’s Red Cross website: https://www.redcross.org/donate/cm/nexstar-pub.html/.
- Now moving into its third year, “Remarkable Women” celebrates local women who inspire, lead, and pave the way for other women to succeed. Based on nominations from the public with universally selected criteria, each of Nexstar’s 116 markets selected four local women for consideration. The pool of entries was then narrowed to one finalist per market. The winner, Fonda Bryant, from Charlotte, North Carolina, was announced during an hour-long special program aired nationally on NewsNation and in each of Nexstar’s markets (watch video https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=N5hb3fs299o). Ms. Bryant, who has been very active in the fight against suicide prevention, asked that her $5,000 charitable contribution from Nexstar be divided between three organizations, including Wellness Action Recovery, The National Alliance on Mental Illness, and the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.
- In January 2021, Nexstar announced a comprehensive multi-year partnership with Feeding America®, the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization. Nexstar has committed to donate $2 million in television air-time and financial support to the organization over the next three years. Nexstar employees are also encouraged to volunteer their time and effort to assist Feeding America in fulfilling its mission. In addition, the Nexstar Charitable Foundation will donate $50,000 annually through 2023 to support the organization; the first donation was made in December 2020.