We embrace the communities in which we operate and pride ourselves on our community engagement. Every station is tasked with serving its local community through service on non-profit boards, sponsorship of community organizations, promotion of giving and in many other ways.
On a companywide basis, we engage in a variety of community initiatives each year, including:
- Founder’s Day of Caring: Nexstar’s Founder’s Day of Caring occurs each year in June. Staff members at our TV stations receive paid time-off for volunteer work in their communities. The choice of which organizations to support is made at the local level and covers a wide range of charities and social service agencies.
- Feeding America: In January 2021, Nexstar announced a comprehensive multi-year partnership with Feeding America®, the nation’s largest domestic hunger relief organization. The ongoing partnership includes a commitment to donate $2 million in television air-time and financial support to the organization.
- Remarkable Women: Nexstar’s “Remarkable Women” initiative celebrates local women who inspire, lead, and pave the way for other women to succeed. Each year’s national winner is selected from a pool of nominees from across each of Nexstar’s 116 markets. The national winner is announced during a special program airing on NewsNation during International Women’s Month and awarded $10,000 to contribute to the charitable organizations of her choice.
- Project Roadblock: Each year, Nexstar and all of its television stations participate in “Project Roadblock,” a national multiplatform program aimed at preventing drunk driving. Sponsored by the Television Advertising Bureau, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, and the Ad Council, every Nexstar TV station donates airtime and news coverage.
- Red Cross: All of our TV stations partner with the Red Cross during times of crisis to assist victims affected by natural disasters in the communities we serve. In 2022, our television stations helped raise nearly $400,000 for the Red Cross.
- Nexstar Charitable Foundation: The Nexstar Charitable Foundation awards grants each year to charitable and non-profit organizations serving the communities in which we operate. In 2022, such awards exceeded $400,000.
In addition to our companywide community initiatives across our 200 owned or partner stations in 116 markets, we were actively involved in over 1,675 local community outreach initiatives in 2022. We and our partner stations work with local community groups to increase awareness, raise money and otherwise assist local groups with their missions. Stations run promotions and air content related to these initiatives and station employees participate in related local events. Nexstar partners with a significant number of community groups, including local charities, food banks, hospitals, and community-specific groups/events, as well as the local chapters of national organizations.
In 2022, we also produced nearly 50 candidate debates for state and federal elective offices.